RK is one of the Rocky Mountain region’s largest and most capable supplier of construction, manufacturing and service solutions for construction, industrial and commercial clients. RK employs around 2,000 people and operates four major locations in Denver, CO, Henderson, CO, Aurora, CO and Salt Lake City, UT, along with several rocky mountain regional offices. RK is one of Colorado’s largest employers and has been ranked as a top 10 places to work and top 10 healthiest places to work by the Denver Business Journal, among many additional industry and workplace awards.
The Chief Financial Officer (CFO) will report directly to the Chief Executive Officer (CEO) and manage a diverse financial team that will play a central role in the successful strategic and operational growth of RK. This executive will be a strong business partner to the CEO and the entire executive team, and is expected to play a critical role in defining and setting corporate strategy, as well as analyzing and opining on current operations; providing financial decision support for the operation of the company, compensation and investments, while also anticipating trends and future financial management opportunities for RK.
In determining the finalist for this role, RK will look for a polished and accomplished financial leader, one who has solid experience working in the AEC Industry (Architecture, Engineering, Construction), reporting to a CEO and communicating to and working with a Board of Directors. The new CFO must possess great strategic, tactical and interpersonal skills and should be a seasoned financial leader.
In terms of day-to-day management responsibilities, the CFO will manage and direct the entire finance function, including oversight and leadership of the customary financial planning and analysis, tax and external audit. Specifically, the CFO will be responsible for developing and maintaining financial systems, policies and controls while ensuring timely and accurate financial information and reporting to various stakeholders. The CFO will also have responsibility for leading the IT function at RK. The CFO will manage all banking and treasury matters. These include cash management, compliance with debt facilities, and all interactions and communications with the company’s bank.
SPECIFIC RESPONSIBILITIES INCLUDE:
- Serve as a business partner to the CEO in all regards—providing insights and counsel in the areas of finance, strategic planning, operations and performance management of business.
- Provide day to day operational oversight of the finance and IT groups, coordinating preparation of all internal and external financial statements and reporting.
- Manage all Treasury activities, including banking relationships.
- Assess and manage corporate debt structure; monitor and maintain relationships with financial institutions; ensure company adherence to all covenants and agreements.
- Lead the financial planning and analysis function to ensure the executive management and business functions have the optimal data to operate the businesses. This includes the annual budget, updated quarterly reforecasts throughout the year and multi-year financial planning processes.
- Provide pragmatic, at times provocative, timely and insightful counsel to the CEO related to corporate financial activities, opportunities and any threats the Company could face—and supported with data driven insights and action plans.
- Well prepared and interactive Board presentations, providing not only historic data but also insightful analysis.
- Provide Accurate and Timely financial information to the executive leaders of the company by the 10th business day of the month.
- Drive the business review process with all business unit leaders to review monthly financial performance and create strategies to meet annual financial goals.
- Lead the Revenue and Margin forecasting process to ensure that annual goals are achieved.
- Ensure that all vendor discounts are taken in accordance with terms.
- Manage tax compliance; engage when necessary appropriate internal or external resources to ensure financial tax efficiency, financing and inter-company transactions.
- Oversee the audit function, ensuring exemplary internal controls, policies and procedures are in place and functioning as intended. Ensure minimal adjusting journal entries are required by CPA firm. Ensure Audited financial reports are completed by December 31, 20XX.
- Supervise the Enterprise Risk Management program including all insurance renewals, communication and interaction with bonding company.
- Be a business partner to the CEO and executive team in driving transformation, including developing and ensuring a business and organizational culture focused on action, initiative and accountability, thus driving results that support the business strategy.
- Play an integral role in the development of the company’s strategic plan.
- Collaborate closely with the business unit leaders to ensure best-in-class processes are integrated and operational throughout the company.
- Be directly involved with business unit leaders in timely budget preparation, forecasting and analysis that can become a blueprint for achieving the overall strategic and operational objectives of the company.
- Embed a culture of integrity, ethics and transparency. Earn the respect of superiors, peers and employees by showing exceptional integrity, ethics, and a strong moral compass that serves as an example to others and can set a standard for leadership to follow.
- Build and maintain a best-in-class accounting and IT team at the corporate and business unit level of the company.
- Build a culture of best practices, including lean/ continuous improvement.
- Develop and promote a high-performance culture that could serve as a role model and champion for superior business performance and operational excellence.
REQUIRED QUALIFICATIONS AND EXPERIENCE:
The experienced CFO will be a broadly qualified, highly talented and operationally oriented financial leader. Experience in communications networking, infrastructure and construction management would be a plus but is not required. The successful candidate must exude confidence, character and strong principles, humility and a collaborative working style and be self-directed and capable of leading significant initiatives supporting RK’s business strategy.
RK wants a CFO who can easily demonstrate a proven track record of performance success as a CFO. In terms of scale, this executive must have competency related to leading the financial operations of a business of at least $300 million to $1 billion in annual revenue. Prior experience in a high growth environment would be a plus.
- Solid treasury and cash management experience and skill, including prior experience with banks and negotiated debt agreements, covenant management and presentations to banks.
- Hands-on, dynamic leader who can motivate and inspire with proven team building success; sterling interpersonal and communication skills and an engaging personality.
- A strategic thinker with tactical willingness; demonstrable experience supervising functions that include reporting, budgeting, business analytics, audit and tax.
- Has worked closely with management to establish sound financial plan development; similarly, has worked with sales/solutions management to develop revenue forecasting plans highly supportive of business success and which can be embraced by the sales management and team.
- Proactive and collaborative management style that focuses on development and empowerment of associates at all levels. A team player with balanced ego and an approachable style.
- A track record of success functioning as a key member of a senior management team, contributing strategic thinking and leadership skills necessary to operate at the highest levels of the organization.
- Works collaboratively; maintains a very focused environment supporting collaboration across the entire business.
An undergraduate degree in Business, Finance or Accounting is required; MBA or professional certification preferred.
Compensation for the successful candidate will be competitive and commensurate with experience.
If you are interested in this position and excited to be part of a growing, innovative company that empowers, energizes and values their people, contact RK for a personal and confidential discussion about this key position:
Jim Shaw, Recruiter
(p): 303.785.6890 | firstname.lastname@example.org
RK Mechanical, Inc. is an equal opportunity employer. Qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, sexual orientation, gender identity, disability, protected veteran status or any other status protected by applicable law.